If you are a habitual coffee drinker and love to workout, I have some news for you. Caffeine is an ergogenic aid. That means caffeine assists in sports performance. Caffeine is present in varied beverages like tea, coffee, sports drink, energy drinks, chocolate, cola and sports gel and so on.
Have you ever wondered what makes you stay awake and bring all that energy after drinking a can of cocoa cola?
- An accepted amount to improve performance prior to work out is 300-500 mg of caffeine for a typical athlete. Almost 2 x 250 ml of instant coffee or a 1 standard serve short black coffee. An athlete can have caffeine pre workout and during workout too.
- Caffeine content depends on its brand, brewed, variety etc.
- Consuming higher amounts of caffeine do not show much improvement in performance.
- Consume caffeine one hour prior to work out.
- Research indicates that athletes in endurance sports like high intensity workouts, long hour work outs > 90 mins shows improvement in their performance. Strength or weight training benefits are very unclear.
- Fluid imbalance/ dehydration is not applicable to regular coffee drinkers.
So let’s have a cuppa before workout.
Please message us to get caffeine content of beverages.
Accredited Sports Dietitian