Many cricketers experience painful muscle cramp while running especially in calf muscle. It is called as Exercise Associated Muscle Cramping. A low sodium or salt level in the blood due to prolong sweating can cause cramping during the game. It can also occur during abnormal levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium in the blood. Dehydration due to heavy sweating and inadequate fluid intake can also cause this problem.
- Players can condition their body to the environment and train hard in order to prevent cramps. This is quite tricky for elite International Players who travel a lot.
- Stretching before and after exercise prevents camps.
- Ensure adequate carbohydrate snack before and after the game to prevent muscle fatigue.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes, tight clothes can reduce blood flow to the muscles.
- Have an individualized Hydration Plan.